LOUAL LOVES LINEN
Our fabrication of choice is Irish Linen. Our first collection is all made from 100% Irish Linen cloth. Our goal is to perfect our Irish Linen styles before expanding into other natural and sustainable fabrics.
Linen has amazing and countless positive properties. It comes from the Flax plant which is a naturally sustainable fibre. Our Irish Linen in particular is produced with the highest level of craftsmanship, flooded with heritage and expertise. The flax is grown in Europe and the cloth is woven in Northern Ireland.
There is so much to talk, read and write about Linen. Here are some of our favourite facts about Linen:
- The long Flax fibres make it even stronger when wet making it ideal for the kitchen, bathroom, pool or beach.
- Linen is naturally antibacterial, absorbent, is virtually naturally insect repellent and gives UV protection - all the reasons its known to be so great for summer and holidays.
- Linen comes from the Flax plant which used far less water than cotton to grow as it does not require irrigation (added water) and grows from rainfall alone.
- It also uses far less pesticides than cotton.
- Nothing is wasted in flax farming - all parts of the plant are used in one industry to another.
- Each hectare of flax captures 3.7 tonnes of CO2.
- Flax works as a rotation crop so when swapped on land every 6 - 7 years it can boost soil quality,
and increase yields of the next crop.
The Irish Linen we use comes from a mill which is ISO 14001 Certified. This means they have demonstrated that their Environmental Management System (EMS) is in place, and is used in the running of every aspect of their process. This includes an assessment of energy use and chemical management as well as continuously assessing and improving their environmental and sustainability goals. The mill is powered by 100% renewable electricity.
The mill also maintains a high level of control and monitoring in the processing, dyeing and finishing process preserving a work practice that keeps chemicals to a minimum and drive innovations in reducing the water required. All chemicals and dyestuffs used at the mill comply with REACH compliance legislation. All waste plastics and papers are recycled and packing materials from them to our manufacturers contain recycled materials.